Who doesn’t love a great pumpkin spice soup?
Warm up with this delicious, spicy pumpkin soup. This is everything that fall should be.Jump to Recipe
I first got this recipe from my good friend Aisling.
She always claims to be a terrible cook but everything she makes is always delicious. I started making this recipe every year during the fall. Over the years I’ve tweaked this recipe. The original recipe calls for dairy milk but suggested that you could swap out soy milk for a vegetarian version. After trying a few different combos, and finally fell in love with using coconut milk — the subtle flavor of the coconut milk marries perfectly with the curry and coriander spices in this soup
This pumpkin spice soup is now a family tradition.
For a few years in a row, we planned family trips to Yosemite for Thanksgiving. We would find a huge house to rent and invite our extended family up for the weekend. Everyone would cook one of their favorite dishes, and then on Thanksgiving Day we would pack up our spread (including a few thermoses of this soup), haul it out to Yosemite Valley floor and find an awesome spot to take in the magical beauty and have our Thanksgiving meal. Talk about feeling grateful… being able to share great food with great people while surrounded by some of the most beautiful views in the world is what life is all about.
Ahhh the sweet smell of simmering soup.
I’m sitting here writing this while my pumpkin spice soup is simmering on the stove. I can recall so vividly how the blue enameled mugs filled with my hot pumpkin soup felt in my hand while standing in Yosemite. It brings me right back to that moment of sipping my mug of soup while looking up at all the massive rock formations and being surrounded by huge trees and the crisp fall air. It’s like I am right there.
After you make this pumpkin soup, I can guarantee it’s going to be your new family tradition too!
Does your meal prep game need some work?
Download my Meal Prep Guide and Planner right now and learn how to get started.
Pumpkin Spice Soup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 yellow onions diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 45 oz pumpkin either canned or fresh roasted sugar pumpkin
- 5 cups vegetable broth unsalted
- 2 cups coconut milk the one in the carton, not canned
- 2 tsp yellow curry powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
Roasted Spiced Pepitas
- ¼ cup pepitas aka pumpkin seeds
- ½ tsp chipotle chili powder
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground aleppo pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
Extra for topping
- creme fraiche or heavy cream
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, add coconut oil, diced onion, and diced garlic. Sauté until translucent and slightly golden.
- Add spices and pumpkin.
- Add vegetable broth and coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully use a stick blender to blend in onions. Blend until smooth.
- Toss pepitas with spices, sugar, and oil.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, roast at 325℉ for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve in bowls or large mugs. Top with creme fraiche or heavy cream. Add roasted pepitas.
Other recipes to try.