Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
It’s officially Fall ya’ll
The holidays are fast approaching, and with them come family gatherings and memories. One of the family memories that I have are these apple dumplings with caramel sauce.
One of the last times I visited my Grandma Sisson she whipped up a batch of these magical apple dumplings for me. My grandma has always had a knack for throwing together something super fast using whatever she has on hand in the kitchen. Grandma Sisson is a mother of nine kids. Which pretty much makes her the master of cooking for a lot of people! Her food is always simple but super delicious.
These apple dumplings are really easy to make. In less than an hour, you can have sweet, cinnamony, pie crust-wrapped apples baked in a yummy caramel sauce. You have ice cream right? Because seriously nothing makes ice cream happier…than these apple dumplings.
So hold on and prepare for fall apple greatness
My husband describes these apple dumplings as being “everything that he loves.” When I asked exactly what that meant, he said it was like having everything he loves in a bowl: super delicious pie crust, baked apple filling – all gooey, doughy, caramel, sugary – with ice cream…yeah, all that together in one thing. [You may notice I wasn’t on the list of everything he loves, we may have to talk about that later.]
Grandma Sisson's Apple Dumplings
- 5 tart apples peeled and sliced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsalted butter cold, diced
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Add the flour and salt to a food processor. Pulse to mix.
- Add the diced butter. Pulse until the texture of coarse sand.
- Add the milk. Pulse to bring together.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface. Roll out and cut into six separate pieces.
Assembly and Baking
- Peel and slice five apples. Set aside. You can cover in cold water, or squeeze on some fresh lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
- Seal the apples inside the dough, resulting in six individual dumplings.
- Place the dumplings into a 9" x 9" baking dish.
- Make the sauce in a saucepan. Pour the sauce over uncooked dumplings.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350℉ or until golden brown.
Other recipes that you may love.
Become a Beast Bowl Insider!
Get weekly meal plans and insider tips that I don't share anywhere else. No Spam Ever!