Summer Needs Tomatoes And WatermelonJump to Recipe
Tomatoes are so ripe right now.
I’ve been trying to use them any way I can. This fresh, savory watermelon salad is another excuse to eat some super sweet garden tomatoes. When I told my mom about this salad she said “that just doesn’t look right.” It might not look right but it’s absolutely beautiful and it tastes as good as it looks. I hope my mom will give it a try.
Funny story – I didn’t realize that my watermelon was a yellow watermelon until I cut it open. I was a little shocked at first. To tell you the truth I’ve never eaten a yellow watermelon, until now. I had planned on using yellow pear tomatoes and a traditional red watermelon for this salad. Thankfully, I still had some heirloom cherry tomatoes at the house from my neighbor.
The fresh watermelon and the tomatoes in this salad make a winning flavor combination. The baby greens add a bitter spicy bite. And the pecorino cheese finishes everything with a salty savory flavor that brings everything together beautifully. This salad is simply dressed with oil, vinegar and some salt and pepper – just enough to bring out the flavors. I chose to really kick things up a notch by using a honey white balsamic and a lemon flake finishing salt.
ARE YOU TIRED OF THE SAME OLD BORING FOOD?
Download my MOST POPULAR seasoning mixes and get some flavor in your life. These easy to store mixes are a must have to spice up your dinner game.
Fresh Savory Watermelon Salad
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 cups watermelon largely diced
- 1 cup mixed baby green kale and arugula
- 1 tbsp fresh mint julienned
- ¼ red onion finely sliced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey white balsamic O brand
- fresh ground pepper to finish
- lemon flake salt Mark Bitterman, to finish
- ½ oz pecorino romano cheese shaved
- Add tomatoes, watermelon, mixed greens, red onion, and avocado to a large glass or plastic (non reactive) bowl.
- Add vinegar and olive oil, gently toss.
- Serve and top with freshly ground pepper, lemon flake salt, and shaved pecorino romano cheese.