Summer Needs Tomatoes And WatermelonJump to Recipe
Tomatoes are so ripe right now.
I’ve been trying to use them any way I can. This fresh, savory watermelon salad is another excuse to eat some super sweet garden tomatoes. When I told my mom about this salad she said “that just doesn’t look right.” It might not look right but it’s absolutely beautiful and it tastes as good as it looks. I hope my mom will give it a try.
Funny story – I didn’t realize that my watermelon was a yellow watermelon until I cut it open. I was a little shocked at first. To tell you the truth I’ve never eaten a yellow watermelon, until now. I had planned on using yellow pear tomatoes and a traditional red watermelon for this salad. Thankfully, I still had some heirloom cherry tomatoes at the house from my neighbor.
The fresh watermelon and the tomatoes in this salad make a winning flavor combination. The baby greens add a bitter spicy bite. And the pecorino cheese finishes everything with a salty savory flavor that brings everything together beautifully. This salad is simply dressed with oil, vinegar and some salt and pepper – just enough to bring out the flavors. I chose to really kick things up a notch by using a honey white balsamic and a lemon flake finishing salt.
Fresh Savory Watermelon Salad
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 cups watermelon largely diced
- 1 cup mixed baby green kale and arugula
- 1 tbsp fresh mint julienned
- ¼ red onion finely sliced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey white balsamic O brand
- fresh ground pepper to finish
- lemon flake salt Mark Bitterman, to finish
- ½ oz pecorino romano cheese shaved
- Add tomatoes, watermelon, mixed greens, red onion, and avocado to a large glass or plastic (non reactive) bowl.
- Add vinegar and olive oil, gently toss.
- Serve and top with freshly ground pepper, lemon flake salt, and shaved pecorino romano cheese.