I’ve been thinking a lot about family recipes. I realized that, not only am I keeping certain recipes alive, but I’m also creating new ones for the next generation. Now that my kids are getting older, I wonder which they will remember and want to make. This recipe for Barley with Mushrooms and Onions is a highly likely candidate for their list.
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
I have made this recipe so many times over the years that my family refers to it as ‘Kit Rice’
This recipe – which contains no rice, by the way – was originally introduced to me by a woman for whom I used to cook. When I was in my early 20’s I had a job as a cook in a private household. It was far and away the coolest job I’ve ever had. The matriarch of the family gave me one of her favorite ‘go-to’ cookbooks as a gift, The California Heritage Cookbook. This recipe is from that book. In fact, my copy will fall open to this recipe if you simply drop it.
Do you need a delicious go-to side dish? Barley it is!
Barley with Mushrooms and Onions goes perfectly with grilled meat, or roasted veggies. It is also a nice change from other grains. This barley is ‘rib-sticking’ comfort food that is the perfect ‘supporting actor’ on any plate. I’ve also served it with eggs as leftovers. It could even be made into patties and fried, or re-purposed as a hash on Day 2. Dress it up for a fancy dinner or dress it down for a picnic.
ARE YOU TIRED OF THE SAME OLD BORING FOOD?
Download my MOST POPULAR seasoning mixes and get some flavor in your life. These easy to store mixes are a must have to spice up your dinner game.
Give it a try and let us know what you think. Does it make your kid’s future family recipe list?
Make sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and sign up to get our special freebies delivered right to your in box. Our members only content has started rolling out so don’t miss out!
In the meantime keep on sharing the food ❤️ and we will too!
Barley with Mushrooms and Onions (Barley Casserole)
- ½ cup butter
- 2 medium onions chopped
- ¾ pound fresh mushrooms trimmed and sliced
- 1 ½ cups barley
- 2 cups chicken, beef or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Melt the butter in a 8-10" skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms. Saute another 5 minutes - until the onions are golden and the mushrooms tender.
- Add the barley and cook, stirring occasionally until the barley is light brown (5-10 minutes).
- Transfer the mixture to a lightly greased 2 quart casserole dish. Add the broth, salt, cayenne and parsley.
- Cover and bake for 50 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.